Monday, March 16, 2009
Recap: Spring Break
My spring break turned out to be amazing and I honestly think it may have been the best one so far. I went home and on Monday I went with my home church, First Baptist Hendersonville, to the Nashville Rescue Mission. We got a tour and learned a little bit of how it works. We worked in the kitchen and helped served meals to the homeless who came through and organized some boxes of clothes. It kinda threw me off seeing how much of a need is needed so close to home but it was great serving so I had planned to go back on wednesday and/or thursday. God had something else in store for me. On tuesday, I received a call from one of my best friends from back home, Elizabeth, telling me that New Vision Baptist church in Murfreesboro, TN needed a girl leader for their DNOW this weekend. I was delighted and excited to accept the opportunity at hand. This is also the church I had went to last year when I was at MTSU. 3 of my previous youth ministers from middle/high school from back home are on staff now there so I was excited about seeing and listening to them as well. One as senior pastor, women's minister, and youth minister. 3 of my best friends from high school were also leaders as well so I was excited to see them. I found out that I had 10th grade girls so I was really excited. I went there thursday night and that night we got to meet our kids and have some worship time to prepare us for the weekend. I also found out that the speaker and worship leader were from my home church as well so I became even more excited. On friday, all the leaders came together for training and fun, they took us bowling. I soon learned my purpose for this weekend as Jeremy, one of my previous youth ministers in high school, went over my list of girls with me to tell me about them. The first one just lost her dad 3 months ago. My heart hurt and I knew the exact reason I was there. Jeremy did as well and we knew that no doubt I was there for a purpose. My 10th grade year I lost my dad as well. 3 other girls in my group also just had single moms, some fathers had abandoned them or they never knew them. Other girls in my group had problems with boyfriends and relationships as I had been through that as well. The weekend challenged me and I don't think I have ever prayed as hard and much in a day as I did then for my girls. I learned their burdens and struggles and they were so open, honest, and vulnerable as I was too with them. Our theme for DNOW was Ninja Love and learning the role Love plays in our lives. I learned that God is faithful and that loving people starts with investing in relationships with others and truly caring. It was an awesome experience and it was the first time I had led on my own but God gave me the wisdom and hearts for these girls. Now the only downside is that I don't live in Murfreesboro anymore and can't really continue building relationships but hopefully I can get involved with the youth at my church here in Bowling Green because my heart is truly for high schoolers. I could say so many more things but that is just a look of how my spring break went and how God is faithful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is awesome Natalie! I am so glad you got to have that experience! My heart is for high school students as well. I hope that you have a wonderful day!
ReplyDelete